Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Time We Spend for a Craving- Sesame Crackers

So this evening, I really wanted some crackers to eat with some cheese that I had in the fridge. Unfortunately, these things don't exist except in big cities. "What?!?" you say. Crackers? No crackers? None. They prefer sweets here in Morocco so the only salty snacks available in my town are popcorn and chips. Neither one really works as a good crackers and cheese snack. I thought about buying some bread, but I eat bread everyday and even toasted, it's still not a cracker. Bread and cheese is good, but I didn't want very many carbs... just a thin cracker was all I wanted.

Hmmm... What to do? I looked through our Peace Corps cookbook. I thought perhaps a very thin bread you could do on the stove would work. I looked through. I didn't want anything that needed time to rise. That eliminated many recipes. Finally I saw one for Sesame Crackers, discovered I had all the ingredients and set off to make them.

The dough was easy, though I did mess it up a bit. I added too much water and it was a sticky mess by the end. I had to add significantly more flour to balance it out. It worked.

Here it is:

Sesame Crackers- copyright the PC Morocco cookbook

2 cups flour
2 T sesame seeds toasted
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 T butter melted
2/3 C ice water
1/4 C Yogurt (I used the plain kind though it doesn't specify)

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together 2 times. Cut in the yogurt. Add the sesame seeds and melted butter. Mix it all up with the water until it forms a dough. Roll it out to 1/8th of an inch. Lightly greese cookie sheet and then bake it in a preheated oven- medium heat- until brown and crispy.

I found there was a lot of dough for one cookie sheet, so I slightly greesed aluminum foil and pulled it off the top of the cookie sheet for each one. This worked especially well as even the non-greesed parts didn't really stick.

These are really good. I recommend them to everyone who has a craving for sesame crackers. I will say though to all of you at home... if I were home, I would just go buy some sesame crackers.

No comments: