Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hello Danon Bla Skkar- stuffed peppers

Wow, delicious. So I've been trying to go lower carb... not no carb and I'm not being super good about it. I just cut out rice, bread from the hanut, pasta and potatoes. The potatoes are the toughest part.

So today I had a craving for stuffed peppers but I usually do a rice mixture. Because of my no rice rule, I thought a vegi mix would be good instead. Here's what I did...

Cut up and sauteed 2 small tomatoes, 1 green pepper, 1 small chili pepper, celantro leaves and 1 large scallion. I did it in this order on low heat: the white part of the scallion, the chili pepper and the green pepper, the tomatoes, the celantro leaves and then at the end, the green part of the scallion. I sauteed these in sunflower oil though vegetable oil would work as well. I added through out, a few pinches of salt (to taste), a shake of cheyenne pepper, a shake of black pepper and a shake of garlic powder.

When this was all looking good, I added about a tablespoon of fromage blanc (white cheese) and a tablespoon of natural yogurt and mixed it up letting it cook together for awhile. At this point, it starts to get thicker as you let it cook.

So for those of you not familiar with Fromage Blanc, it has the consistancy of a light cream cheese and a taste similar to natural yogurt. If you can't get your hands on any, use a few tablespoons (heaping... not exact here) of natural yogurt and let it cook together until it's thicker.

Now you have a delicious filling! I then stuffed the pepper. Normally I'd then place it in the oven, but this time I got impatient because I was really hungry and smelling all the stuffing! I just ate it like that and it was delicious! I would however recommend for anyone trying it, that you put it in the oven until the pepper is hot and just slightly softened. A good way to do the pepper is to cut the top off straight across (find a pepper that can stand on it's own), stuff it and then put the top back on.

Yum!

No comments: