Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Potato Salad

It's Memorial Day in America... not here. But there is something I love more than anything else in the summer, and that's BBQ!!! Cookouts are the greatest things ever. Hanging out in the sun, eating ribs, hot dogs, burgers, wings, potato and macaroni salads... Yum! So for Memorial Day at our little house in Morocco, my site-mate (the other volunteer in my site), a friend, and I thought we'd have fried chicken and potato salad. My site-mate is trying to perfect her fried chicken, so I made the potato salad.

Now I can't remember where I got the original recipe... Nevermind, it's right here:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pats-Potato-Salad/Detail.aspx

But of course like anything else, we can't do everything exact here in Morocco. Here is how I did mine:

5 med-large potatoes cooked, peeled, and cubed
1 small red onion chopped
3 containers "natural" yogurt (without sugar or sweetener)
1/4 C chopped parsley
1/8 C vinegar
1/8 C sugar
2 t Dijon Mustard
1/2 t salt

Combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and yogurt in one bowl. Mix in the parsley. Mix the potatoes and onions together in another bowl and then pour in the mix combining until everything is coated. Refrigerate. It stays yummy for quite a few days in the fridge. The recipe online says it even gets better with time. I don't know about that, but it's definitely just as good days later.

Anyhow, good Peace Corps recipe. One of my favorites, and probably good for home too.

Cheers! Happy Memorial Day.

No comments: