Sunday, May 25, 2008

Why?

So... blog blog blog. I wasn't going to do this because I thought I couldn't keep up with it. That is, when it comes to writing about my adventures in Morocco. One thing I have written about regularly in a journal is cooking, so I thought maybe it would interest more than just me.

Learning to cook is really something I never considered. I'm a food lover, but a take-out queen. I love food. I'm dating a boy now who loves to tease me about one of the first things I said to him which was "food makes me so happy". He likes good food too.

Good food to me doesn't have to be from the most expensive restaurant. The local bbq joint can have some of the best kinds of feel-good food. The greek diner down the street can throw together a salad that just amazes me. It also never hurts to check out the pricier options every once in a while... see what top chefs have to offer. I'd love to be a food critic except that I have trouble keeping my portions to just a little bit. I would be huge!

In any case, I mention my love of food so I can tell you why I've decided to dedicate a good portion of time to learning how to make it. I never would have done it in the states. I have no patience and restaurants can often do it better anyway. Now is the perfect time for me to learn. I'm spending 2 years in a country with few restaurants and very little concept (in my small town at least) of take-out. The fresh food is cheap here while the packaged food is expensive- completely opposite of the US. While the fresh produce is of amazing quality, there is a limit to availability of products (for example, there is no all-purpose flour). It is very difficult if not impossible to get certain ingredients. So, I need to learn to be creative, and innovative in my quest to be an amazing chef.

Wish me luck! I'm so excited to have this opportunity to learn. I'll try and keep you all up on recipes, projects, and fun stuff.

No comments: