Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Best Freaken Mashed Potatoes EVER!!!

Okay, so at least I think they're the best mashed potatoes ever. It took me a few tries to get them exactly the way I like. Here's the recipe (I'm just giving you the amounts I used this time in recipe format, but it makes a lot... you can cut it down pretty easily).

6 large potatoes
4 large garlic cloves
1/3 C + 3 Tbls butter
1 C Redball cheese aka Fromage Rouge aka Edam
2 containers yogurt without sugar (danon bla skkar)
(2 containers is about a cup... a bit less. I measured out each container once and found it to be a little under half a cup.)
1 1/2 tsp + 2 tsp salt
1 heaping tsp pepper

Wash and cut the potatoes into medium sized squares. I try and leave on as much skin as possible, but it's your call. Cut out all the eyes. Use the 2 tsps of salt in a pot filled with water. Add the potatoes and boil them until they fall apart pretty easily under a fork (but don't fall apart by themselves in the boiling water). This takes a bit of time... be patient. If they're underdone, they will be difficult to mash.

While the potatoes are cooking, dice up the garlic. Saute it in the 3 Tablespoons butter till it just barely gets brown.

When the potatoes are done, drain the water. In a separate bowl, add the potatoes, the buttery garlic, the butter (1/3 C), the salt and pepper, and the redball cheese. Start mashing together with a fork or whisk (and if you have easier tools, lucky you). It's quite a job so I use both and go crazy.

After everything is pretty smooshed, I add the yogurt. Mix and mash it in well until everything looks blended.

These are so yum... I'm eating them now. :-) Seriously, try these! Oh and the amounts aren't exact... I just threw stuff in there and then estimated about how much it was, so feel free to play around.

I dedicate this recipe to my buddy and regionally departed friend, Aaron Grant, and my friend/sitemate/housemate Mona. Cheers, guys!

1 comment:

Iwritelettersinmythoughts said...

Thank you Kate for posting this. Seriously, the best mashed potatoes ever!