Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sesame Salad Dressing

Hello! I'm back from my lovely training/vacation. It was so fabulous. My host sister made me this fish Tajine that was to die for! I'll learn how to make it the next time I'm there.

For now, here is something I found online... I went looking for a good salad dressing recipe using the ingredients I have (all available here in Morocco for all the PCV's on here).

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/japanesesaladdressing/r/sesamedressing.htm

Ingredients:

  • 3 tbsps rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp ground white sesame seeds

Preparation:

Mix all the ingredients other than oil in a bowl. Add oil gradually into a bowl and mix well. Makes 2 servings


It's pretty easy. I just used the vinegar that is available at every hanut (the clearish bottle with the yellowish stuff in it) and toasted sesame seeds rather than ground white ones. The result is pretty good, and tangy. I used 2 different types of lettuce that I found at the market... which is amazing because we rarely have 1 type of lettuce. In any case, it tasted better after it sat in the fridge for a few minutes.

I bought a vinaigrette at the super marche (supermarket) and this stuff is way better. Anyone want a bottle of mediocre vinaigrette? I'd hate to waste it.

Sometime this week: BBQ ribs!!!

1 comment:

K said...

I love making a similar dressing with peanuts, ginger, rice wine vinegar (available at super-hanuts in larger cities or marjane), soy sauce, a pinch of sugar, and sesame oil/seeds.

Love your blog... glanced at it after the link was sent out. :)
k.