Friday, July 18, 2008

Stale Popcorn- boo!!!

So I haven't written anything in a little while because I'm having difficulty being in my kitchen. It's always around 100 degrees in my house. I did make a salad the other day that I loved, but I didn't really modify it so much. Most of the ingredients are here in Morocco, so no need. It's fabulous! Here's the link:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/005223napa_cabbage_picnic_salad.php

I didn't use everything in the salad... just cabbage and carrots but the dressing is delicious.

Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks both here and in America. There is a popcorn guy that usually has it but lately he's been dry. To get my fix, I bought some at the large hanut (country store) in hopes that maybe it isn't stale despite the warnings of one Rachel Beach, my predecessor. Well, of course, it is. This means that when you pop it on the stove, the kernels don't open up very much... they blacken and just barely crack. As much as I love burnt kernels (and I actually really do), who wants an entire bowl full of them?

There must be a way to get the moisture back in the popcorn. I'm going to try 2 things and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm first going to try soaking them and letting them dry completely. I'm also going to try putting some of them in an open container in my fridge. I read the second one on the internet. I'll let you know if one of these methods works.

Cheers!

No comments: