Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pretty darn good Mac 'N Cheese

Hey guys... so tonight I decided just to throw together some mac and cheese. I figured I was ready to move to non-recipe for something simple. Yesterday I tried, but apparently my milk was bad. It curdled as it heated. I had to scrap that batch. Here's my recipe... I hope I get the amounts right because I was just guestimating stuff in the kitchen.

1 cup dry macaroni
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp butter
2 triangles Laughing cow Red (or you can use velvita in the US... maybe 2 large Tbsp)
2-3 Tbsp Fromage Rouge/Red Ball (Edam in the states- something a little harder that melts well... maybe cheddar would work?)
1/8 C milk (hope that's right... I didn't use much)
1/4 tsp + 1 tsp Salt
Cheyenne Pepper or Pepper

Start up the macaroni- macaroni, the tsp of salt, and water on the stove, bring to a boil at higher temperature and then lower the temperature. Boil until macaroni is perfectly soft. If it's finished before the sauce, strain it and put it aside.

While the pasta is going, either dice up or press the garlic, and put it in a sauce pan with the butter. Turn the heat on low. When the butter melts and the garlic starts to brown slightly, add the milk. Then start adding the cheese continuously stirring. Add the Laughing Cow triangles, and slowly add the Fromage Rouge. You may want to shred the Fromage Rouge- I just cut it into pieces. Stir in the salt (optional- it was probably fine without it... the cheese makes it salty enough) and some pepper to taste. When the cheese is completely melted and the consistency looks good, pour it over the pasta in a bowl. Mix it up until every piece is coated.


I know it's simple, but I know some of you guys don't really cook either, so simple is not a bad thing. :-)

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda (RPCV who had been in Ben Smim) taught me this - make a roux first of milk and flour (I add pepper and parsley) - then add your grated red ball - makes a nice faux alfredo sauce!

I like the idea of your blog and the blog itself!